Creating a sign up form is one of the most important first steps you can take toward email marketing success. In your AWeber account, you'll find a few different sign up form options, each designed to grab attention from prospects and customers.
To Create A Pop Up / Lightbox / Pop-Over Sign Up Form
- Click on the Sign Up Forms tab in the navigation menu
- Next you can either Create a new form or edit an existing one.
- Just underneath where the templates are found, you'll find a toolbar with a drop-down box labeled Form Type.
Click on that box to select from the available form types.
You can hit the Preview button in the Sign Up Form Generator to see how they work, or view the demos below in this article.
The pre-selected option renders your form directly on the page - it is not a pop up of any type.
This form appears above the content on your web page. It is not technically a pop-up, since it does not open in a new window. Because of this, it is not blocked by pop-up blockers.
It can be set to appear immediately when your page loads, or you can have it fade in or slide in from any direction on the page.
Like the "Pop-Over" form type, the Lightbox appears above the content on your webpage and you can control how it appears on the page. In addition, it also darkens the content behind it on your page with a semi-transparent mask to help focus the visitor on the form.
This type loads your form in a traditional pop-up, in a new window. While generally the Pop-Over and Lightbox forms are recommended over the Pop-Up type, there is an option unique to this type to allow you to display a form to visitors at the point of leaving the page it is published to.
- Once you have selected the form type you prefer, you should customize exactly how it will appear on your page. Click on the Advanced button.
Depending on which type you selected, you can customize some of the following:
Display Options (Pop-Over, Pop-Up, and Lightbox Only)
This option sets whether and how your form will animate as it appears on the page.
By default, your form will appear instantly, once your page loads. If you'd prefer for it to appear after a delay, enter how long you'd like for visitors to wait, in seconds.
While pop-ups provide a great means toward grabbing your visitors' attention to help build your list, if it is not the only priority you've assigned to your web page, having it load every time a visitor sees your site may prove to be an annoyance for them.
Instead, you might consider having the pop-up appear only once or every certain number of days. Select how often you'd like for it to appear. If you select "Show Every X Number of Days", be sure to also set how many days you'd like to skip between showing a visitor your pop-up form.
Note: When publishing a pop-up form to your site, we always recommend also publishing an in-line form so that visitors have an opportunity to sign up even if they don't see your pop-up.
Pop-up Behavior (Pop-Up Only)
With the Pop-Up form type, you may have it appear only once a visitor has left the page it is published to, or have it show in a window that does not immediately appear to the visitor (also known as a pop-under).
- Finish the design and setup of your form, much like you would any other. While you can design a form from scratch or choose any template, there are sign up form templates designed specifically for pop-ups. You'll find them under the Hover Forms category.
- Once you've designed your form, save it and publish it to your website. Place the form code just beneath the body tag in your page.