Many of the features of Email Web Analytics require no additional installation. Just send your messages and you will see a wealth of information show up in the report section of your account in just a few hours. Individual subscriber activity reports will be available under the "Subscribers" tab, and powerful list segmentation features will be there for you to send messages based on subscriber actions.
Benefits Of Using AWeber's Email Web Analytics
- Use your own domain for click tracking URLs instead of clicks.aweber.com
- Track page views a subscriber makes on other pages of your site beyond just your click thru link
- Track sales revenue tied to your subscribers
- Segment and send emails to subscribers based on sales revenue or other page hits
While some features work right out of the box, installation is necessary for others. If you want to receive any of the above listed benefits, you will need to complete a few small setup steps.
Fortunately, it's simple. All you need to do is copy and paste some code to your web pages, just like you've probably already done for your sign up forms.
Step By Step Instructions
- Under the "Reports" tab, click Settings.
- Copy the code that appears on that page and paste it onto each page of your site. After you've done this (you may want to speak with your webmaster if you have many pages to update), click the step 2 button.
- On this page, enter the URL of your web site - note that this should be the root URL, even if the index or homepage of your site has a more specific URL ("http://www.mywebsite.com" instead of "http://www.mywebsite.com/index.html"). Click the "plus" button to complete this step.
Once you have done this, your AWeber account will automatically track page hits on your site after subscribers click through links in your messages, and click tracking links will no longer need to be converted to clicks.aweber domains, even in your plain text messages.
Please Note: Clicks will not be tracked for listed web site addresses that do not have the analytics.js script in the source.
If that's all you need, stop here! There are a few more advanced settings on this page, however, if you need them.
- The next area on the page is the sale tracking feature. This allows you to assign a monetary value to a specific page hit - usually your order completion page. Simply enter the URL of the page in question, a description of the goal that a page hit represents (i.e. Sale), and the value of that transaction. Click the "plus" button to add your new goal!
Take a look at our article on sales tracking for more customization options!
- Next up, you have the ability to ignore certain URL parameters when tracking page hits on your site. Note: This will only be relevant if you are using query strings in your links, and only if you do not want to track those query strings separately. If you are not sure about this, you may want to consult with your webmaster on whether this option is valuable to you. Once again, simply enter the root URL, then just the name of the parameter that you would like to ignore and click the plus button to add the parameter to the list.
- Finally, you can choose to ignore certain IP addresses' visits to your site. This is useful, for example, if you are a frequent visitor to your own site, and do not want your own page hits to distort your statistics. Simply enter the IP address you want to ignore, and click the "plus" button.