To create and edit follow up messages in your AWeber account, you need to follow just a few simple steps in your control panel.
Note: This entry discusses creating autoresponder and follow up messages. For newsletter messages please see how to create and edit a broadcast.
Instructions for AWeber's Drag & Drop Email Builder are below. Instructions for the previous version of the editor are further down the page.
Watch A Video
Step By Step Instructions
- Under the "Messages" tab, click "Follow Up Series."
Here, hover your mouse over the arrow to the right of the "Create A Follow Up" button.
From the drop down menu that appears, click on "Drag & Drop Email Builder".
- Right at the top of the new page, enter the subject for your message.
Note: You can add personalization fields using the "Personalize" button to the right.
Next, click the "Templates" button in the right hand side of the message editor. This will be located under your "Message Properties" section.
Many templates have color schemes you can select from below the the template itself. Once you've found the template that you'd like to work with, click the "Apply" button at the bottom of the sidebar.
- Now it's time to start using the Drag & Drop Email Builder. The editor has two major components: sections and blocks.
Sections are the areas in a message where you can place your content. Templates come with a number of sections already in place, usually with some dummy text or images included. You can create new sections for content by clicking on a section and clicking the "add row" or "add column" buttons.
This allows you to add content to the new section of your message.
Note: You can also change the alignment of the content in the section: sections can be top, center, or bottom aligned.
Blocks are the actual content in your message (text, images, etc). You can drag and drop these blocks to move them around. To start working with a block, simply click on it. If you wanted to move the block, click and hold down the "Move" option. You'll be able to drag and drop the block into the section you wanted.
Once you've clicked on the block, you'll see the options to the upper right hand corner of the block: the "X Delete" will delete the block, the "+ Copy" will copy it, and on many blocks, the menu to the right hand sidebar of the editor will allow you to customize it further.
- To add new blocks to your message, simply drag them over from the left hand sidebar into your message.
The "Headline" block creates a headline for your messages. Simply click on the block once you've placed it to edit the text.
The "Paragraph" block creates a block of text. Again, just click to edit the text once you've placed the paragraph block.
The "Article" block creates a headline, a text area, and a "read more" link. Click the text to edit it, and set the URL of the link in the window to the right. Some templates may include an image as well - if that's the case, you can edit the image via the window to the right as well.
The "Image" block allows you to insert an image into your message. The window to the right allows you to upload an image directly to AWeber or enter the URL of the image you'd like to display. You can also have the image link to another page when clicked, and provide the text that will appear when someone hovers their cursor over the image.
The "Button" block creates a clickable button. To the right, you can change the URL the button is linked to, change the button label, text style, button color, or replace the button with another image.
The "Follow Me" block adds buttons to allow readers to follow you on Facebook and Twitter - simply add the social media accounts using the window to the right.
The "Product" block creates an image which you can replace with an image of your product, along with text for the product's name, description, and price. Finally, it comes with a button that can take customers to your order page. The image and button can be edited via the right side window.
The "Coupon" block is ideal for special offers or discounts, with a text area and a dashed border (think a cut-out coupon) by default. On the right, you can add a background image or change the border.
Similar to the "Image" block, the Logo block inserts an image, but automatically loads your logo if you've set one up on the "List Settings" page.
The "Signature" block adds your signature file to your message. Learn how to edit your signature file.
The "Divider" block allows you to add visible separation elements to your message with borders that are dotted, dashed, or solid.
The "Share" block allows your readers to share your broadcast to popular social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and StumbleUpon. Add which services you would like to share to from the Share menu to the right.
The "Video" block allows you to add a YouTube or Vimeo video to your message. This will take a screenshot of your YouTube or Vimeo video and hyperlink the image with the URL of the YouTube or Vimeo video.
- Once you have arranged the message's layout, you can start entering the actual text. When editing the text of your message (remember, just click on the text you want to change), you'll notice a toolbar at the top of the editor.
This toolbar will allow you to change the font, size, and other formatting of your text. Simply highlight the text you want to change, and use the toolbar to modify it.
To create hyperlinks, highlight the text you'd like to turn into a link, then click the button in the toolbar. In the popup that appears, simply enter the URL you would like to link to.
To use personalization fields, click the "Personalize" button. This will provide a drop down menu where you can select which personalization value you would like to add to your message.
Note: You can click on the field to change the content at any time if you need to do so.
- Once you're done editing your message, scroll down to the bottom of the editor. To the lower left, you'll see the "Plain Text" settings.
By default, plain text will be auto-generated from the content of your HTML message. Checking the box to the left will allow you to customize the plain text version via the customize link that appears.
To the lower right of the editor, you'll see a button to "Save" your message. When you're done, click "Next."
- At the top of this page, you can enter the interval, the number of days between this message and the previous one.
Note: The first follow up message on your list will always be sent out immediately after a subscriber joins your list.
Next, you can choose whether you'd like to use send windows or not. Simply click the button to enable them.
Once enabled, you can choose to have your follow up message sent only on certain dates and times by checking the days, choosing the times from drop downs, and clicking the plus button to add that send window to your message. Below, you can choose to send based on each subscriber's local time and whether to have the send windows applied to all your follow ups.
When your message is scheduled, just hit the "Save & Exit" button to save your work, and you're done!
Using AWeber's Previous Editor?
- The first thing that will appear when you create a new message is the subject field. This will appear as the subject line in your subscribers' inboxes.
- Moving down the page, you will see the HTML message area. If you want to use HTML features such as changing the font size or color or inserting images, you can use this area to do so.
Note that you can also learn to use templates in your HTML messages - the templates are listed to the right of the HTML message area.
- Below the HTML section is the plain text area. All your messages should have a plain text version in case some of your subscribers do not want to view HTML. Note that this doesn't work both ways - you don't need to have an HTML version if you don't want to.
- If this is your first message, you can skip this step - for all other messages, you will next see a box asking you to provide an interval. This is the number of days after the previous message that this one will be sent.
In this area you will also see a checkbox for "Only deliver this message on certain days and times." If you are interested in sending the message on specific days of the week or times of day, learn to use our send windows feature.
- Once you're done, just click the "Save Message" button at the bottom of the page. Your message will be saved and will start going out at the interval that you set.
It is a good idea to test your message once you've saved it. Click the "Send a test" link underneath of the message you'd like to test to send yourself a copy of your new follow up!