While follow up messages (autoresponders) are sent in sequence, one after another, broadcast messages are sent once on a specific date and time that you choose.
Use broadcasts to send:
Instructions for AWeber's drag & drop email builder are below. Instructions for the previous version of the editor are further down the page.
Watch A Video
Step by Step Instructions
- Under the "Messages" tab, click "Broadcasts."
Here, hover your mouse over the arrow to the right of the "Create A Broadcast" button.
From the drop down menu that appears, click on "Drag & Drop Email Builder".
- Right at the top of the new page, enter the subject for your message.
Note: You can add personalization fields using the "Personalize" button to the right.
Next, click the "Templates" button in the right hand side of the message editor. This will be located under your "Message Properties" section.
Many templates have color schemes you can select from below the the template itself. Once you've found the template that you'd like to work with, click the "Apply" button at the bottom of the sidebar.
- Now it's time to start using the drag & drop email builder. The editor has two major components: sections and blocks.
Sections are the areas in a message where you can place your content. Templates come with a number of sections already in place, usually with some dummy text or images included. You can create new sections for content by clicking on a section and clicking the "add row" or "add column" buttons.
This allows you to add content to the new section of your message.
Note: You can also change the alignment of the content in the section: sections can be top, center, or bottom aligned.
Blocks are the actual content in your message (text, images, etc). You can drag and drop these blocks to move them around. To start working with a block, simply click on it. If you wanted to move the block, click and hold down the "Move" option. You'll be able to drag and drop the block into the section you wanted.
Once you've clicked on the block, you'll see the options to the upper right hand corner of the block: the "X Delete" will delete the block, the "+ Copy" will copy it, and on many blocks, the menu to the right hand sidebar of the editor will allow you to customize it further.
- To add new blocks to your message, simply drag them from the left hand sidebar into your message.
The "Headline" block creates a headline for your messages. Simply click on the block once you've placed it to edit the text.
The "Paragraph" block creates a block of text. Again, just click to edit the text once you've placed the paragraph block.
The "Article" block creates a headline, a text area, and a "read more" link. Click the text to edit it, and set the URL of the link in the window to the right. Some templates may include an image as well - if that's the case, you can edit the image via the window to the right as well.
The "Image" block allows you to insert an image into your message. The window to the right allows you to upload an image directly to AWeber or enter the URL of the image you'd like to display. You can also have the image link to another page when clicked, and provide the text that will appear when someone hovers their cursor over the image.
The "Video" block allows you to add a YouTube or Vimeo video to your message. This will take a screenshot of your YouTube or Vimeo video and hyperlink the image with the URL of the YouTube or Vimeo video.
The "Button" block creates a clickable button. To the right, you can change the URL the button is linked to, change the button label, text style, button color, or replace the button with another image.
The "Follow Me" block adds buttons to allow readers to follow you on Facebook and Twitter - simply add the social media accounts using the window to the right.
The "Product" block creates an image which you can replace with an image of your product, along with text for the product's name, description, and price. Finally, it comes with a button that can take customers to your order page. The image and button can be edited via the right side window.
The "Coupon" block is ideal for special offers or discounts, with a text area and a dashed border (think a cut-out coupon) by default. On the right, you can add a background image or change the border.
Similar to the "Image" block, the Logo block inserts an image, but automatically loads your logo if you've set one up on the "List Settings" page.
The "Signature" block adds your signature file to your message. Learn how to edit your signature file.
The "Divider" block allows you to add visible separation elements to your message with borders that are dotted, dashed, or solid.
The "Share" block allows your readers to share your broadcast to popular social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and StumbleUpon. Add which services you would like to share to from the Share menu to the right.
- Once you have arranged the message's layout, you can start entering the actual text. When editing the text of your message (remember, just click on the text you want to change), you'll notice a toolbar at the top of the editor.
This toolbar will allow you to change the font, size, and other formatting of your text. Simply highlight the text you want to change, and use the toolbar to modify it.
To create hyperlinks, highlight the text you'd like to turn into a link, then click the button in the toolbar. In the popup that appears, simply enter the URL you would like to link to.
To use personalization fields, click the "Personalize" button. This will provide a drop down menu where you can select which personalization value you would like to add to your message.
Note: You can click on the field to change the content at any time if you need to do so.
- Once you're done editing your message, from the "Message Properties" section, you will see the "Plain Text settings."
By default, plain text will be auto-generated from the content of your HTML message. Checking the box to the left will allow you to customize the plain text version via the customize link that appears.
To the lower right of the editor, you'll see a button to "Save" your message. When you're done, click "Next."
- On the "Sharing" page, you can choose whether or not to archive your message using the "Broadcast Archive" button.
Then, if sharing is on, you can choose to make a tweet or post to your Facebook page using the "Social Media" section below.
When you're satisfied, click "Next."
- To schedule your message to go out on a future date, click "Schedule For Later" or just switch the button on the scheduler to the "ON" position (If you want to send your message immediately, skip to "Send Options" below).
Here, use the calendar to choose the date you'd like your message to be sent. You'll be able to see the dates some notable holidays, as well as days you've scheduled other messages to be sent. Just click on the date that you would like the message scheduled for. On that date you can choose the time you would like the broadcast sent.
You can also set the time zone for when you want your broadcast to be sent by clicking on the "Change" link next to the current time zone selected.
A drop down menu will then appear that you can use to change your time zone.
Once you have a date, time, and time zone selected just click on the "Set" button to schedule the broadcast the be sent at that time.
To the right, under "Send Options", you can choose to send your message to a segment, include other lists, or disable click tracking in your message.
When you're done, click:
If you've scheduled your message to be sent on a specific date, the button will read:
- Now, if you're done working with the message, if it wasn't queued already, click "Send Now" to have your message sent at the time you chose.
Using AWeber's Previous Editor?
- Under the Messages tab, click "Broadcast."
On this page, click on the arrow to the right of "Create A Broadcast" and from the drop down menu that appears you will want to select "Previous Message Editor."
Note: The ability to create messages in our old message editor will only be available to accounts that originally had access to the old message editor.
- The first thing that will appear when you create a new message is the subject field. This will appear as the subject line in your subscribers' inboxes.
- The next area on the page is the HTML message. You can use this to send messages with HTML features, such as including images.
In the HTML message you can also use templates - simply select the template that you are interested from the menu on the right. If you're interested in this feature, learn more about using templates.
- Below the HTML area is a space for your plain text message. All your messages should have a plain text version in case any of your subscribers do not want to receive messages in HTML.
- Next, you can choose when your message should be sent. If you want to send it right away, leave this set to Send Immediately. If you want to send it out sometime later, choose "Use Scheduler". Then, select the date and time the message should be sent.
- By default, your message will be sent to all subscribers that are on the list you're sending to. If you want to include another list or send to a segment of the list you're working in, you can do so using the options just below the Schedule section.
- Finally, you have the option to archive your broadcast message by saving it to your broadcast archive. You can always do this later, even after the message is sent, so if you aren't sure whether to check that box, you can learn more about the broadcast archive, or just leave that unchecked for now. This option will also allow you to post your broadcast to Facebook or Twitter as well.
- Once you are done, click "Save Message" to save your broadcast. This will take you back to the Broadcasts page - now is a good time to test your message by clicking the Send a test link underneath the subject line of the broadcast you just created.
This will allow you to send yourself a copy of the message before you send it out to your whole list.
- Once you are satisfied with your message, click the "Send Test" button. This will ready the message to be sent either immediately, or at whatever time you scheduled it for when creating it.
AWeber offers hundreds of templates you’re welcome to use! If you would ever find yourself wanting to modify an existing template or would like a custom template built for you to reflect your branding, our Template Team would be happy to modify existing templates or design a custom template for you!