You've probably seen social media buttons on websites, blogs, and generally all over the internet. These buttons allow you to link to Facebook, Twitter, and any other number of social media websites. If you're interested in adding social media buttons to the messages you send with AWeber, simply follow the directions below.
Please note that the instructions directly below are for messages created using our Drag & Drop Email Builder. Instructions for the previous version of the editor are further down the page.
Adding "Follow" Buttons
The "Follow Me" block allows you to add buttons to your Follow Up or Broadcast Messages that link directly to your Facebook or Twitter pages.
- When you're creating a message, you can drag the "Follow Me" block into your message in order to add social media buttons.
- From the window that pops up, you can choose to include buttons to allow people to follow you on Facebook or Twitter.
- If you haven't connected Facebook or Twitter to your account yet, you can do so with the buttons at the bottom of that window on the right.
If you're not already logged in to your Facebook or Twitter account, you may be asked to log in and allow AWeber to connect.
Note: When connecting to Facebook, you will want to make sure you are connecting to your Facebook Profile page and not your Fan page. Once you are connected to your Facebook Profile page we will add any Fan pages that your profile page is an administrator to as well.
- Once you're done, you should see the social media buttons in your message.
Adding "Share" Buttons
The "Share" block allows you to add icons for your favorite social media websites to your broadcast or follow up messages. These icons will allow your subscribers to share your broadcast messages and content from other websites to social media websites such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, or StumbleUpon.
- When you're creating a message, you can drag the "Share" block into your message in order to add social media buttons.
- From the window that pops up, you can choose to link to your Archived Web Version of your broadcast or to a custom URL.
Note: The option to link to an archived version of your message is only available for broadcasts and not for follow up messages.
You can also choose the "Share Label Text" that you would like to appear next to the social media icons in your message.
- At the bottom of that menu on the right you will also be able to choose which social media services you would like to share your content to.
Using AWeber's Previous Editor?
- For share buttons in an email message, we recommend a free service called "AddThis." Click here to get started.
Note: You may be asked to register an account with "AddThis" - doing so is not required in order to follow these instructions, as you can simply close the popup that appears. If you have questions about what registering with "AddThis" entails, please consult their help materials.
- Once you're on the "AddThis" page, select Email Newsletter from the "Platform" area on the left.
- Moving down, under URL to "Share" enter the URL you'd like to have people sharing when they click the button. If you'd like subscribers to simply share a page on your website, you can enter that URL (then skip ahead to step four).
If you'd like to share a broadcast message directly, you'll need to get the "Direct Link" for that broadcast message. In your AWeber account, open the broadcast you're working on and check the "Enable Social Media / Sharing" box.
Here, copy the link labeled "Direct Link" and paste this in the URL to "Share" area back on the "AddThis" site.
- Next, choose what you'd like the buttons to look like under the "Style" section in "AddThis."
- "AddThis" will automatically produce your code on the right. You can either copy the code from the box yourself, or just click the "Copy Code" button.
- Back in your AWeber account, open the message you want to add the share buttons to and click where you'd like them to appear in the HTML Message area - you should see your blinking cursor where you'd like the buttons to be. After you've done that, click the "Source" tab at the bottom.
- Finally, simply paste the code you copied from "AddThis" and save your message (Note: you can paste without using your mouse by hitting Ctrl+V on a PC or ⌘+V on a Mac).