When starting your campaign, you may already have a message template that you have created in another service, or you may have had a designer create a custom template for you that you would like to use with our message editor. With our easy template importer, it is easy to import in a custom template that has been created outside of our service.
Step by Step Instructions
- Start by going to the Messages tab and click on Email Template Manager.
- Next, you will be taken to the "Create A New Template" page. Here, click the button "Import a Template".
- You will then be taken to a page where you can first name your template.
- Next, you will want to copy the HTML code for your custom template that you are trying to import, and paste it into the box under the header for "Paste in your HTML below:"
Then, click the "Pick Dropzones" arrow at the bottom of the page.
- On the following page, you will then be prompted to pick the dropzones for the template. First, click on the area of your template that you would like to use for a particular dropzone to highlight it. This is important in making sure your dropzone is placed in the right part of your template. Then, click and drag the dropzone to the corresponding part of your template that you would like for it to be associated with.
The dropzones are used to define the parts of the template that you will be able to edit whenever you create a message from it.
<AW:BODY> - Defines the body of your message. Usually where the main content for your message is.
<AW:HEADER> - Defines header text for your message.
<AW:FOOTER> - Defines the footer for your message. Usually contains your contact information.
<AW:SIDEBAR> - Defines editable sidebars, columns or rows for your template.
Here is an example of a message before the dropzones have been defined:
Here is that same template after the dropzones after the dropzones have been defined by being dragged down into it:
Note: Each dropzone can only be used once. So when importing in a template you may want to consider each of the different areas that you want to be editable for that template.
When you are finished picking your dropzones, you will want to click the "Template Builder" arrow at the bottom of the page.
- Finally you will be taken to the "Template Builder" page. Here, you can edit the template even further from those dropzones that you defined. You can drag and drop different blocks into the template to replace the blocks that were placed into it, or you can just keep it the way that it looks.
To delete a block, first click on the block you would like to delete. Then, click on the "X Delete" button that appears in the upper right hand corner of that block.
To add new blocks to your message, simply drag them from the toolbar at the left hand side of the message editor into the body of the message.
The "Headline" block creates a headline for your messages. Simply click on the block once you've placed it to edit the text.
The "Paragraph" block creates a block of text. Again, just click to edit the text once you've placed the paragraph block.
The "Article" block creates a headline, a text area, and a "read more" link. Click the text to edit it, and set the URL of the link in the window to the right. Some templates may include an image as well - if that's the case, you can edit the image via the window to the right as well.
The "Image" block allows you to insert an image into your message. The window to the right allows you to upload an image directly to AWeber or enter the URL of the image you'd like to display. You can also have the image link to another page when clicked, and provide the text that will appear when someone hovers their cursor over the image.
The "Button" block creates a clickable button. To the right, you can change the URL the button is linked to, change the button label, text style, button color, or replace the button with another image.
The "Follow Me" block adds buttons to allow readers to follow you on Facebook and Twitter - simply add the social media accounts using the window to the right.
The "Product" block creates an image which you can replace with an image of your product, along with text for the product's name, description, and price. Finally, it comes with a button that can take customers to your order page. The image and button can be edited via the right side window.
The "Coupon" block is ideal for special offers or discounts, with a text area and a dashed border (think a cut-out coupon) by default. On the right, you can add a background image or change the border.
Similar to the "Image" block, the Logo block inserts an image, but automatically loads your logo if you've set one up on the "List Settings" page.
The "Signature" block adds your signature file to your message. Learn how to edit your signature file.
The "Divider" block allows you to add visible separation elements to your message with borders that are dotted, dashed, or solid.
The "Share" block allows your readers to share your broadcast to popular social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and StumbleUpon. Add which services you would like to share to from the Share menu to the right.
The "Video" block allows you to add a YouTube video to your message. This will take a screenshot of your YouTube video and hyperlink the image with the URL of the YouTube video.
- Beyond that, you can continue to edit the template like you normally would. Among other things, you can edit the formatting of the text within the blocks and insert any images that you would like to insert as well.
- Once you have your template looking the way you like, just click on the "Save & Exit" button at the bottom of the page.
Note: As you are working on the template you may want to save your progress by clicking green "Save" button.
- When you go to create a new message, click on the "Templates" button.
From here, click on "My Templates". You will then see your template as a template that you can apply and use. Just click the "+" symbol on the template thumbnail to apply it, or click on your template and then click "Apply" below.
Note: If you are having trouble importing your template, please contact our Customer Solutions Team and they will be able to assist you!
AWeber offers hundreds of templates you’re welcome to use! If you would ever find yourself wanting to modify an existing template or would like a custom template built for you to reflect your branding, our Template Team would be happy to modify existing templates or design a custom template for you!