If you are one of our more advanced users, you may be at a point where you are comfortable creating your messages in straight HTML. We have an option for doing just that. This best applies to web designers or anyone who is familiar with creating content in HTML.
If you are not familiar with creating content using HTML, you will want to check out our Drag & Drop Email Builder instead.
Step By Step Instructions
- First, go to the "Drafts" page. On this page, click on the arrow to the right of "Create a Message." From the drop-down menu that appears, click "HTML Editor".
- The first thing that will appear when you create a new message using the "HTML Editor" is the subject line.
- Below that, you will see the area where you can start typing in the HTML for your message.
You can insert personalizations into your message as you are working on it. First, click the part of the HTML that you would like the personalization to be inserted at. Then, click on the "Personalize" drop-down menu in the top right hand corner of the editor to select a personalization value to insert.
Each of the drop-down options expand to show more personalization variables.
- The "HTML Editor" automatically creates a plain text version of your message for you. If you needed to customize the plain text version of your message, click the "Plain Text: Auto" button located at the bottom left-hand side of the editor.
Next, click "Custom" to modify the plain text version of your message. When complete, click the "Save & Exit" button.
- Once you've completed writing your message, click "Save & Exit" from the bottom right-hand corner of the editor.
- Now that your message is saved, click the "Schedule" button to send/schedule your message.
- If you wanted to share your message, click the "Edit" button for the sharing section.
On the "Sharing" page, you can choose whether or not to archive your message using the "Broadcast Archive" check box.
Then, if sharing is on, you can choose to tweet the message or post the archive link to your Facebook page using the drop-down menus in the "Social Media" section.
When you're satisfied, click "Apply."
- Under the "Who should receive this message?" section, click "Edit" to select the segment of subscribers you would like to receive the message. Here, you can also include/exclude other lists.
When you're satisfied, click "Apply."
- To schedule your message to go out on a future date, click "Edit" under the "When should this message be sent?" section.
Here, use the calendar to choose the date you'd like your message to be sent. You'll be able to see the dates some notable holidays, as well as days you've scheduled other messages to be sent. Just click on the date that you would like the message scheduled for. From the left-hand sidebar, you can choose the time and time zone you would like the broadcast sent.
Once you have a date, time, and time zone selected just click on the "Apply" button to schedule the broadcast the be sent at that time.
- To add automation, click the blue "Edit" button under the "Do you want automations?" section.
In this section, you can choose to add or remove a tag if a subscriber has opened your message. Also, all of the links in your message will be displayed. You can choose to add or remove tags when a subscriber clicks on certain links in your message. Once you have applied or removed your tags, click the blue "Apply" button to save your changes.
- When you're done, click the "Send Message Now" button for your message to be sent immediately.
If you've scheduled your message to be sent on a specific date, the button will be listed as "Schedule Message for [specific date you've selected]".
AWeber offers hundreds of templates you’re welcome to use! If you would ever find yourself wanting to modify an existing template or would like a custom template built for you to reflect your branding, our Template Team would be happy to modify existing templates or design a custom template for you!