Why is my message going to the SPAM Folder?
Having issues with your emails going to the spam folder? We'll explain the reasons why your emails get sent to the SPAM box, and how to get more of your emails reach the inbox.
There are two major factors to consider when you find that your message is going to the junk, bulk, or SPAM folders.
The Reputation of the Sender of Your Messages
As a hosted solution, AWeber's customers' messages are sent via our mail servers, something that the ISPs (e.g. Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, etc.) review when deciding whether to accept or reject a message.
We've been in the business of sending only requested messages since 1998, following the strict industry standards required for excellent deliverability.
What Can I Do to Avoid Deliverability Issues?
- Configuring custom DNS records for your custom domain from address to reflect email sending with AWeber will help improve overall message deliverability and inbox placement.
- Use Confirmed Opt-In to ensure the lowest rate of unsubscribes, undeliverable addresses, and SPAM complaints.
- Don't use a generic e-mail address for the 'From/Reply' setting for your list. Addresses hosted at yahoo.com, gmail.com, etc. are commonly used by spammers.
- Always include a plain-text version of your message. It's perfectly acceptable to use a template or type in your own HTML message, but if you do so, also include a plain-text version.
- Your message should not consist of one large image. Spammers commonly send just an image with a small amount of text added to try to bypass filters. Your message should be composed of mostly text if you include images. More on effective image usage on our blog.
- Encourage your subscribers to add you to their address book. Some ISPs and email applications will place a message in an inbox always when this is the case.
- Test your messages. Sign up for some free email accounts and send yourself tests as an actual subscriber to your own list. Review how they're handled by those ISPs in particular to establish how it might be handled among others.
- Use other fundamental best practices when working on your campaigns