Importing subscribers into AWeber is a great way to move subscribers from another service, or between lists in your account. Using tags, you can trigger specific Campaigns to be sent to the subscribers who are imported into your list. This article will walk through how to add tags to your import file and upload subscribers to your list.
Step By Step Instructions
- Open your import file and add a field called "Tag" as a new column. If multiple tags are being added for your subscribers, just make sure that each tag is separated by a comma so our system can recognize each individual tag.
- Make sure the information in the column matches the "Tag Applied" trigger in your Campaign.
Note: Make sure the campaign you want to trigger is "Active" before processing the import to ensure your messages will be sent.
- Save your import file with the updated "Tag" column.
- Next, hover over the Subscribers tab and select "Add Subscribers". Click "Import more than 10 subscribers" to open the import tool.
- On the first step of the import process, you will also be given the option to import your list in two different ways. The way that you choose will depend on if you have the subscribers saved in a valid file format. If your subscribers are saved in any of the following file formats you will be able to upload that file directly to us:
Once you have uploaded your file skip to step 8 below.
- If your subscribers are not stored in any of the above file types you will want to click in the "Type or paste subscribers" section.
Here you can either copy and paste your subscriber information into the input area or you can type it in manually. Our system will recognize your subscribers being entered as long as their information is separated by a TAB, semicolon, or comma. In this example, I have typed the subscribers in manually and separated their email addresses, names, and custom colors with commas.
If you are importing multiple tags for a subscriber in this way, it is important that you include quotation marks around the tags, and separate the tags with commas. Such as "tag1, tag2, tag3." These quotation marks will allow our system to parse that data into the tag field.
After you are done inputting all of your subscribers and their information, click the "Next: Map fields" button.
- From here, you can specify if you'd only like to have new subscribers added into your list from the file that you are importing, or if you'd like to update existing subscribers with the information contained within your file.
You can then view the information for the first subscriber that was entered. Next to their information, there are several drop-down menus. From these menus, select the field that their information should be matched within your list.
To apply a tag to your subscribers, you will match the field in your file to the "Tags" option.
Once you are done matching up all of your subscribers information, click the "Next: Confirm Opt-in" button.
- On the next page, you can decided if you would like to resend the confirmation to your subscribers. If confirmation is disabled for your imports, then 'No' will be selected by default. If you would like to resend the confirmation message, simply click the 'Yes' option. Once complete, click "Next: More Options."
- On the "More Options" step, you can apply a general tag to all of the subscribers in the import. If you already included a tags column in the file, then you can simply click "Next: Background Info" to finish the import process. If you would like to apply a general tag, then click the "Add tags" toggle.
Then, type any tags that you would like to add in the textbox provided. Once complete, click "Next: Background Info."
- You can also opt to add your imported subscribers into your list's Follow Up Series. After enabling the "Add to Follow Up Series" toggle, select the Follow Up Series message that you would like subscribers to start with.
- If you want your list's Automation Rules applied to the imported subscribers, enable to "Apply List Automations" toggle.
- Next, you will have to specify how the subscribers signed up to your list. Select one of the available options and provide more details as required. In this example, we selected that the subscribers signed up on our website and include the URL for our site.
- Once complete, click the "Submit your import" button towards the bottom-right corner of the page.
And that's it! Once your import has been processed, you can search for those subscribers based on the tags that you applied. You can use tags to trigger campaigns and segment your subscribers.
Ready to get started with email marketing? Start your 30-day free trial now.