Importing subscribers into AWeber is a great way to move subscribers from another service, or between lists in your account. Using tags, you can trigger specific Campaigns to be sent to the subscribers who are imported into your list. This article will walk through how to add tags to your import file and upload subscribers to your list.
Step By Step Instructions
- Open your import file and add a field called "Tag" as a new column.
- Make sure the information in the column matches the "Tag Applied" trigger in your Campaign.
Note: Make sure the campaign you want to trigger is "Active" before processing the import to ensure your messages will be sent.
- Save your import file with the updated "Tag" column.
- Next, hover over the Subscribers tab and select "Add Subscribers". Click "Import More than 10 Subscribers".
- Then, select the list you would like to import these subscribers into.
- On this page, you will also be given the option to import your list in two different ways. The way that you choose will depend on if you have the subscribers saved in a valid file format. If your subscribers are saved in any of the following file formats you will be able to upload that file directly to us:
Once you have uploaded your file skip to step 8 below.
- If your subscribers are not stored in any of the above file types you will want to select "Click to Input".
Here you can either copy and paste your subscriber information into the input area or you can type it in manually. Our system will recognize your subscribers being entered as long as their information is separated by a TAB, semicolon, or comma. In this example I have typed the subscribers in manually and separated their email addresses, names, and custom colors with commas.
If you are importing multiple tags for a subscriber in this way, it is important that you include quotation marks around the tags, and separate the tags with commas. Such as "tag1, tag2, tag3". These quotation marks will allow our system to parse that data into the tag field.
After you are done inputting all of your subscribers and their information, click the "Next" button.
- From here, you will be taken to a page where you will will see the information for the first subscriber that was entered. Next to their information, there are several drop down menus. From these menus, select the field that their information should be matched within your list.
To apply a tag to your subscribers, you will match the field in your file to the "Tags" option.
Once you are done matching up all of your subscribers information, click the "Next" button.
- On the next page, you will need to provide some information on how you had gathered and obtained those subscribers. This is used in our manual review process. As you select the appropriate option you will be prompted to provide more information about the option you chose. In this example we selected that our subscribers came from a signup form on our site.
Once you have completed this step click the "Next" button at the bottom of the page.
- On the next page you will be given the option to have your subscribers start on your follow up sequence. You may choose to have your subscribers start on your first follow up message, start on a particular message number in your sequence, or to not send your subscribers any follow up messages at all. Simply select the radio button for whichever option you would like to go with, then click the "Next" button.
- On the last page of the import process, you are asked "Do you want your subscribers to opt in again?". Since confirmation is disabled by default for imports, "No", will be selected. If you would like confirmation to be sent to subscribers instead, select "Yes". Once complete, click "Next".
- You will also have the option to apply a general tag to all subscribers in an import on the next step of the process. Enter the desired tag into the "Tags" area. Once you've entered the tag, click "Finish Import".
Note: You do not need to add the tags to your list in this step if you have already included them on your import file as an additional column.
Ready to get started with email marketing? Start your 30-day free trial now.