Having subscribers opening messages and clicking on links in those messages is a great indicator of engagement and you might want to send a message directly to your most engaged subscribers. Not only does this help build a strong relationship with them, but you will most likely get higher opens. You ideally want to be over a 10% open rate on your messages to improve deliverability. Beyond sending to your engaged subscribers, and removing the inactive subscribers, there are many steps you can take to help improve your open rates.
In AWeber, you have the ability to segment subscribers based on who has been engaging in your content. This segmentation is based on either any message they have opened or links they clicked within a chosen time period.
In this article, we'll cover how to generate segments based off of any opens or clicks a subscriber may have had.
Based on Any Opened Message
Note: in order for Opens to be tracked, you will have to use an HTML based message created in the Drag & Drop Email Builder or HTML Editor. Plain text emails do not track opens.
- Go to the "Subscribers" page and click the "Search Option" menu. From the drop-down menu, select "Any Opens."
- Next, click on the "since" field and you can choose to search for subscribers who opened any message since or before a certain date.
- Next, click in the empty field which will bring up a calendar where you can either select a date from a calendar, or manually enter one.
Note: for a more dynamic search, you can manually type "## days ago" in the search bar. In the example below, we entered "90 days ago." The system would automatically pull subscribers who have opened 90 days from the date of your search. If you choose to save the segment with this criteria, the segment will be dynamic as well. For example, if you created the segment on May 5th, the system would pull everyone who opened a message from February 4th, which is 90 days prior, to May 5th. If you viewed the segment the next day, on May 6th, the system would update the segment to pull everyone who had opened a message from February 5th to May 6th, and so forth.
- Finally, click the "Search" button. The returned segment will include anyone who has opened any message- broadcast, follow up, or campaign- before or since the date selected.
- Now you can name and save that segment.
Based on Any Clicked Link
Note: for Clicks to be tracked, you will need to have click tracking enabled first.
- Go to the "Subscribers" page, click the "Search Option" menu, and choose "Any Clicks" from the drop-down.
- Next, click on the "since" field and you can choose to search for subscribers who clicked any links in your messages since or before a certain date.
- Next, click into the empty field which will bring up a calendar where you can select the start date for that segment or manually enter one.
Note: the same dynamic criteria discussed in the above section applies to "Any Clicks," as well. For example, you can search Any Clicks > since > 90 days ago.
- Finally, click the "Search" button and name and save your segment.